Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Rain Princess - from Leonid Afremov (canvas panel 6X6", Jan. 2016)

(my attempt)

(original)
This is an imitation of the painting "Rain Princess" By Leonid Afremov. I was a big fan of his for a little while and was curious how he produced the strokes with painting knife, so I decided to try it out. I painted it the way I imagined he would have done. It didn't come out too badly! Although it really pales to his in comparison, and I am still amazed by his creativity and technique. I learned that it's important to plan each stroke and keep the colors clean, rather than randomly scrape my knife assuming it would create the effect, also to not be stingy with paint.

2 comments:

  1. Your painting has a vintage feel to it. I like it! I don't think it "pales" in a bad way at all ;) I can look at it by itself and still like the colors as they stand on their own quite well in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha I wonder if I was going for that vintage feel or if it's just stingy application of paint. I find it funny that my princess looks shorter than his.

      Delete