Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Hare -study of light and shade (canvas panel 5X7'', Dec. 2015)

After playing around with different ideas and styles, this was the first painting which I seriously sat down and tried to study and imitate the value of a subject from photo. Just as in music where I often encourage my students to clarify their Fortes and Pianos by going for more extreme contrast, I tried to notice the same contrast in the light and dark areas of the photo as well. This long-eared little guy was a good subject since he camouflaged well into his background, and the color is rather monotonous throughout. I liked the way he turned out, although I am slightly worried that what he is doing isn't as obvious due to his rather obese appearance, which I should have addressed better when I started sketching him in.

1 comment: