Search This Blog

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Flaminco Dancer (canvas sheet, 9X12, October 2015)

This dancer I had attempted a few months back, a week after my first painting. Admittedly it was rather a bold choice of subject for my level, but I was so excited to try it after watching a YouTube tutorial which an artist painted the same dancer from its original photo. It took me 15 hours over 3 days to finish it as I decided to give up on polishing the shoes. From this experience I learned the importance of focusing on the development of the big picture before filling in details. Even though I was to some degree trying to be fair to all the parts and mapping out the overall structure as well as proportions, my chronic drive of detail-itis still got the best of me, and it was painful trying to fix the proportions afterwards. This was also evident in my lack of thought for the background, which lacks a sense of depth and makes the dance look 2D rather than 3D as in the photo. However I did like the intuitive golden yellow brush strokes to the top right corner. It was what I imagined to be an abstract sun or a vague source of sunlight. Overall it was a precious experience of learning, and I look forward to doing more paintings of this type perhaps experimenting with loser brush strokes.     

No comments:

Post a Comment