Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016

Impasto Roses (canvas sheet, 9X12, November 2015)


This was my first attempt at floral subjects, also inspired by YouTube tutorials, particularly one in which the artist painted consistently throughout with a painting knife and his fingers. This one really makes me smile, it was one of those rare painting process in which the more I fussed over it, the better it actually got! (If you don't like it, you can imagine how bad it was before) One of those works that I was initially unhappy with, but ended up growing on me, and now I am so impressed with myself for actually having come up with this it's totally one of my favorite! I like how each flower is of a different color, especially the contrast between the bright red rose on the bottom (which I used ivory black as the shadowy parts) and the greyish blue one on the very top. They each seem to have different personalities as well, which are suggested through their color as well as through the various shapes of the petals. The background color I thought could use some further experimenting, but who cares about that when the roses look so great! (total amateur part of me speaking). What I especially enjoyed about this process was the big role that spontaneity and chance played in complement to my own decision-making. Even though I chose to put down every petal a certain way, I was not in control of every little detail, and I enjoyed the little surprises that came with that. It's kind of funny that I struggled so much with trying to get my name on there. That horrendous red half of my first name at the bottom left corner is probably by far the ugliest thing on this painting. (in my opinion :))   

No comments:

Post a Comment