Search This Blog

Monday, February 1, 2016

Rose Face (Canvas Panel 11X14'', Jan.20.2016)

I'm really glad I decided to do this on a larger canvas surface. It was from a photo of my friend's recital flowers, and I've always loved taking pictures of a rose close up. I did this with a yellow background wash, and then after sketching out the lines, filled in the shades and highlights in according to the values of the rose in the photo. This image really taught me to develop all areas evenly without becoming committed to details too early. I learned a lot about the actual colors in reality as well. What I thought looked mostly pink and white at first actually had a significant amount of blue in it, and it wasn't until I realized this that the highlights and shades began to take on a more realistic look. Doing this one had really made me fall deeper in love with oil painting. It is such a forgiving medium and the effects are wonderful and encouraging. I'm really glad to have captured to some degree the translucent quality of the petals and the delicate folds, which had always been among the many reasons why I love roses.


Click to Buy

5 comments:

  1. For some reason this flower looks delicious to me, somewhat literally! I wouldn't have noticed the hint of blue color in the shade if you hadn't mentioned it. I keep staring at it, finding it to be profound, mysterious, and attractive all at the same time. I've always loved the layerings of roses, and I love this painting! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!! so happy to hear from you and to see you on my blog! thank you for sharing your real appreciation and your support. It has always been very encouraging! :)

      Delete
    2. :)
      Can I buy this painting from you? Is it for sale?

      Delete
    3. Hey! I feel really honored! I have been thinking of putting my paintings up for auction at www.dailypaintworks.com
      I haven't figured out the details yet since I am very inexperienced at selling art, and I do have an attachment to it that has kept me from selling it so far. Part of me still wants to produce more paintings before I start giving them away or selling anything. I keep them all for now to better track my progress as a painter. Thank you for your interest though!I will definitely notify you as to what I decide to do with this one when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. I completely understand, Shanshan. I really liked it and was somewhat afraid somebody else would buy it before I did, if it was up for sale at all, lol. By all means, keep it for the purpose of your growth as a painter, at least for now :) Thank you, though!

    ReplyDelete