Search This Blog

Monday, February 22, 2016

Knoll Lake Fishing (Canvas Panel 11X14", Feb.05.16) (GIFTED)

After trying really simple still-life paintings, I wanted to do something that had more interesting shapes and textures. Feeling nostalgic about a road-trip I had with two good friends a few years back, I picked out some old photographs and thought it would be fun to paint people I know. The one taking the photo in the forefront is my friend Claire, the one with a cooler in the mid-ground is my friend Biyo, and I am the person all the way in the back holding fishing poles, leading the way as usual :P
I will say this, that it is quite difficult to paint from a photo where there is almost an over-exposure of light, but it was quite a cool moment when the faces began to take on the familiar expression of people I knew so well. The trees were the most enjoyable part of this whole painting, and I kind of like the overly-saturated light effect. With that said however, I will be paying more attention to the light and dark contrasts of photos I pick out especially when it comes to painting people.

4 comments:

  1. omgosh this is so cool!!! ahahahahaha my roommate recognized right away it was Biyo (and she's never met Biyo..) And me ~! Haha I think I look more enthusiastic and excited here than the photo. But this is so cool. I burst out in laughter when I just saw this :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And your strand of hair blown over your face. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your small smile was actually really complementary with Biyo's bright smile. It's funny, this painting almost look like a trip to heaven than to fishing in a lake because of the overall brightness. I also had to add a lot of imagined color to your face because the photo was not very helpful with that. At one point you were starting to look corpse-like with all the bluish purple color... yeah! it was really taking a freakish turn before I decided that "life" was more important than "accuracy". LOL
    I'm gad that the people were immediately recognizable! Biyo had the most distinctive face, and yours was pretty clear as well. My face was actually the toughest since I was so far away, but that just proves a point...
    Asian people are easy to draw LOL...

    ReplyDelete