Search This Blog

Thursday, March 10, 2016

Portrait of a Friend (canvas panel 5X7", 2.20.2016)

At some point in painting this I came close to destroying it in attempt to start over, but finally after much observation I was able to capture to a decent degree the facial features of my rat Remy. What made it hard was that this friend did not like to stay still and squirmed a lot while I tried very hard to visually memorize what he looked like in frontal view. It came out a bit more formal looking than what I was going for, but there are still aspects of it that I really like especially the dark and light contrast. There's not much shape to his tummy area because he has grown fat recently. I appreciate the way the hands are kept dark to not draw too much attention to them but still give a sense of something supporting his position. This painting was especially challenging to capture on camera without a glare. It taught me a lot about how to use light and shadow in photography. The actual paintings are always more colorful than photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment